Alliance to control the escalating threat of banana bunchy top disease in Africa
- Understand the bunchy top disease epidemiology and ecology for a better knowledge on factors driving the disease spread
- Develop appropriate management packages to delay the spread and manage the disease in endemic areas
- Develop and distribute sensitive diagnostic tools, and develop capacity for disease recognition and knowledge of control options.
- Augment host resistance to the virus and explore biocontrol options to manage aphid vector
- Establish location-specific clean banana production and distribution systems, and train farmers and entrepreneurs in producing clean planting material
- Train African scientists to continue surveillance on the extent of disease incidence to update the spatial distribution map of BBTV spread in SSA
- Exert efforts to mobilize the resources necessary for a sustained and long-term initiative to achieve this mission
Multidisciplinary team of experts will meet to discuss plans to stop the further spread of banana bunchy top disease debilitating banana production in sub-Saharan Africa. The workshop is scheduled to hold between 12th – 15th June, 2017 in IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria.
Consolidating the progress on Learning Alliance efforts to address the impact of the Banana Bunchy Top Virus (BBTV) disease in Africa was the focus of a 6-day workshop organized by the “Alliance for Banana Bunchy Top Disease Control in Africa” at IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria. “The objectives of the workshop, held
Training course on Diagnosis of Banana Bunchy Top Virus Infections in Banana will hold between 6th April, 2017 to 14th April, 2017.
A project aimed at boosting banana production and improving livelihoods of banana farmers in communities blighted by the banana bunchy top disease (BBTD) in Nigeria and also in Benin, led by The University of Queensland (Australia) was launched at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, on 27 May
Multidisciplinary team of experts meet in IITA, Nigeria, to take stock and discuss plans to stop the further spread of banana bunchy top disease debilitating banana production in sub-Saharan Africa The International Institute of Agriculture (IITA) in Ibadan is hosting the 3rd Annual Workshop of the Banana Bunchy Top Virus
The ‘Stop Bunchy Top’ campaign to prevent the spread of the Banana Bunchy Top Disease (BBTD) in Nigeria was launched by IITA in partnership with the Nigerian Agriculture Quarantine Service (NAQS), National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT), and the Ogun State Ministry of Agriculture on 3 December, in Abeokuta, Ogun State.